Thank you for becoming a Waterfront Trail Champion! We appreciate your support and hope that your campaign is rewarding as you help us to expand, enhance and celebrate the Great Lakes Waterfront Trail for generations to come.
The next step in your Champion’s journey is to create a CanadaHelps Fundraiser Page. This page will help you raise money, collect donations online, and keep track of your progress. The following guide explains the steps involved in setting up a Fundraiser Page. As always, the Waterfront Regeneration Trust is here to help. If you run into questions at any point, please get in touch. Good luck!
What is a “Fundraiser” page?
A “Fundraiser ” is your own personal fundraising micro-website that is hosted by CanadaHelps. CanadaHelps is an organization, which the Waterfront Regeneration Trust works with to accept online credit card donations using their safe and secure website. A Fundraiser Page provides you with an opportunity to tell your friends and family about the Great Lakes Waterfront Trail, why you’re cycling and make their donation/pledge online. Your supporters can simply click to donate and their donation will go directly to the Waterfront Regeneration Trust. CanadaHelps immediately issues the charitable tax receipt to the donor.
Create a Fundraiser:
- You will be asked to sign in. If you don’t have an account. Click “create one” on the right-hand side of the page.
- Enter your email and a password and you are registered with CanadaHelps! You are now able to set-up your personal Fundraiser.
Create a Fundraising Page
- Select “Create a Fundraising Page” from the “Fundraise” menu. This will direct you to the Fundraising content form where you can fill in the information people will see when they visit your Fundraiser Page.
- Enter the following information on the Fundraiser Form
- Who are you fundraising for? Type Waterfront Regeneration Trust to find our charity.
- Type of fundraiser–scroll to Sporting Event.
- Enter the Title of your fundraiser = 2020 Great Waterfront Trail Adventure
- Start date = your choice
- End date = August 7, 2021. You may wish to extend the period a little if you plan on exceeding the required goal of $1,000.
- Goal Amount = $1000 or more:)
- Page owner = Your Name
Under “Your Fundraising Story” write about what you are doing and why they should be supporting you and the Great Lakes Waterfront Trail (500 characters maximum). Tell your own story and post pictures to personalize your fundraising page.
Here’s a sample message
This summer I will ride the Great Waterfront Trail Adventure as a Waterfront Trail Champion. I am raising funds to help complete, expand and enhance the Great Lakes Waterfront Trail for generations to come.
All proceeds will go towards helping the Waterfront Regeneration Trust’s crucial work to protect, connect and celebrate Canada’s Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River by creating the Trail. Since its establishment in 1992, the Waterfront Regeneration Trust has secured over $40M in public and private investment to support the Trail and waterfront regeneration projects and programs. Visit www.waterfronttrail.org for more information about the work of the Waterfront Regeneration Trust charity. My personal fundraising goal is $________.
Thank you in advance for your generosity!
- Once completed, you can view your Fundraiser Page and share your page with your family and friends by clicking on the “share/save” tab on your page.
- “Fundraising Goal”. It is optional to display your fundraising goal on your personal Fundraising Page. The benefit of having it displayed is that it encourages people to help you raise more funds.
- Under “Display Donations”, you can choose whether or not to show a list of donors and donations on your webpage.
- Click the box beside “Donation Email Alerts” if you want to be alerted via email each time a donation is made.
- Under “Page Expiry Date” enter the date that you would like the page to expire. We suggest leaving the Fundraising Page active until a month after the event finishes to allow for late donations.
- Post a Photo on your Giving Page! When setting up your page, you will be given the option to upload a picture for your page. If you would like to include a photo, you will need to have access to the photo from your computer. Pictures should be in jpg or gif format. Images larger than 300 pixels (roughly 4.17”) wide or tall will be shrunk to fit.
How do I edit my Fundraising Page?
1. Go to www.canadahelps .org
2. Under “Fundraise”, Click on “Find a Fundraiser” button.
3. Click on “Manage Fundraising Page” in the middle box.
4. Enter your email address and password.
5. Click on the “Manage” tab to edit your page