Monday August 9, 2021
We are staying in Lion’s Head for a second evening so there is no need to pack up this morning.
7:30 – 8:30 am – Boxed Breakfast provided by Tru Food Cafe – pick up breakfast from outside the Lion’s Head Beach motel from 7:30am. Please note that there will be no coffee/tea provided with breakfast – please plan to drink coffee at your hotel or pick up coffee from Cindy Lou’s on Main Street (open from 9am)
Lots of great options for you today and we have 3 suggestions:
- Cycle to Tobermory from Lion’s Head – 60 -75km one way- suggested start time 9-9:30 am
- 10:15 am – 11 am – 30km – GWTA rest stop with washrooms at McVicar at the Crane River Picnic Area parking lot.
- 11:15am – 1pm – 55km -Public washrooms and GWTA pop-up water stop at Singing Sands Provincial Park.
- Tourism info Centre at Tobermory has public washrooms.
- Enjoy Tobermory between 1 & 3:45 pm, taking a leisurely lunch, followed by a ride to Big Tub Lighthouse or find a beach to enjoy a swim.
- Grab a patio lunch from one of many restaurants or pubs, for example, Tobermory Brewing Co & Grill, Crowsnest Pub & Restaurant, Craigie’s Harbourview Restaurant. . Check this link for more information.
- Cycle to Big Tub Lighthouse. Follow the road past cottages on Tobermory’s other harbour. At the bottom of the steep hill you will get glimpses of the head of the harbour where two shipwrecks lie. Continue around the other side of the harbour until the road ends. Big Tub Lighthouse sits proudly at the harbour entrance. Climb on the boulders, take a dip or watch scuba divers investigating the rocky ledges. A solar powered washroom is close by. It is popular spot so it may be busy.
- School bus shuttle back to Lion’s Head 3:30 pm – Departs from the parking lot at Hay Bay Road. Please ensure that your bike is packed in the GWTA truck before getting into the School bus shuttle. Drop off points at Ferndale (North Winds Motel) followed by Lion’s Head Motel.
2. Hike Lion’s Spine 10 to 1:30 pm | $58.50 plus HST | 24 spaces
**Bring your own water and snacks**
Immerse yourself in splendour on an EcoAdventure in the heart of the Lion’s Head Provincial Nature Reserve. This interpreted expedition takes you to jaw dropping panoramas atop the Lion’s Head cliffs. This forest hike will explore paths less travelled as hidden trails weave you through scarred glacial landscapes before linking with the popular Bruce Trail. The trail snakes along the towering escarpment edge overlooking the aquamarine waters of Georgian Bay 200 feet below.
We will guide you on a little known trail under a lush forest canopy to experience sink holes, wild flowers, fungi, and blankets of ferns. You’ll get up close to intriguing rock formations and glacial potholes on our return trip along the cliff edge. This exciting hike is ideal for those wanting to escape the crowd, nature photographers, curious explorers, the adventurous at heart, or those just seeking a break from the everyday! EcoAdventure Tours supports the Bruce Peninsula Biosphere Association.
Reserve a spot to hike the Lion’s Spine!
3. Cycle to across the Pennisula for a taste of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay. 36 km.
Combine cycling, swimming and great food by cycling this self-guided 36 km loop. Starting in Lions Head (be sure to pack snacks and water) cycle towards Sandy Beach in Black Creek Provincial Park (11 km). It is just a short ride of 2.7 km along quiet and lovely Beach is about 2.7 km. Grab a lunch at TruFoods Cafe before heading back into Lions Head following the Georgian Bay coastline.
Check out the route here:
Lunch-On your own
- Mom’s Pizza, 2845 ON-6, Lion’s Head, ON. Phone: 519) 793-4020 Take out only. Open Sunday to 7 pm.
- Bear Tracks Inn and Restaurant, 2837 ON-6, Lion’s Head, ON (Hours 9 to 8 pm). Dine in or take out (no delivery). View the menu at: https://beartracksinn.ca/ Phone: 1-519-3555
- TruFood Cafe, 3766 ON-6 Lion’s Head, ON N0H 1W0. Fresh Ingredients. Coffee. Smoothies. Hot lunches. Options for Vegan, Gluten free, Paleo, Keto! Open 7 days a week 6:30 am to 4 pm. This charming cafe is about 12.5 km north of Lion’s Head on the Trail route.
- Cindy Lou’s 81 Main St, Lion’s Head, ON N0H 1W
- Taste Kitchen,76 Main St, Lion’s Head, ON N0H 1W0
5:30pm – 6:30pm
Lions Head Rotary Club, 59 Main St, Lion’s Head, ON N0H 1W0
Those staying in Ferndale should ride their bikes over to Lions Head for dinner.( 4.1km)
Tonight’s dinner is created by Chef Michelle Watson of local farmer’s market favourite, Crepetown, and is being provided in collaboration with, and as fundraiser for Eat Local Grey Bruce.
The dinner will be served personally by Michelle, at the Lions Head Rotary Club on Main Street – please wear a mask when you are inside the Rotary Club picking up your meal.Tables will be set up outside the Rotary Club for you to enjoy your meal in a socially distant setting alternatively enjoy it picnic style at the Lions Head Motel grounds, at the beach, or at your hotel.