Wednesday, August 1st – Kingston – Brockville (83km)
Breakfast: Leonard Hall, Queens University, 150 Queen’s Crescent Kingston, K7L2T2
Time: 7:30 am to 8:30am – please note today’s later breakfast start time.
Please load luggage before heading to breakfast – bikes should be left in the room during breakfast. Don’t forget to return your room key to the Front Desk – there will be a charge for unreturned room keys.
Terrain notes: Today’s ride features some hills – starting as soon as you leave Kingston. Be prepared for steeper rolling hills between Kingston and Gananoque with gentler rollers between Gananoque and Brockville.
29 km — Gananoque – Rest Stop and Shuttle
- 9:45am – 11am
- Gananoque & The Thousand Islands Visitor Centre
- 10 King St E, Gananoque.
- Shuttle vehicles will be on hand to pick up any purchases.
Park your bike and take the opportunity to explore beautiful, historic downtown Gananoque. Coffee lovers will enjoy a visit to the nearby Laverne’s ( formerly Socialist Pig) – a unique coffee shop and restaurant.
The Gananoque Brewing company opens at 11am in the summer- if you wish to purchase beer our shuttle vans will be on hand for pick up and delivery to the campground or hotel.
St. Lawrence Waterfront Trail–New Terminus!
Leaving Gananoque you quickly join the St. Lawrence Waterfront Trail: 37km of amazing separated bike path which takes you almost all the way into Brockville.
The Ministry of Transportation just finished work to extend the Trail to the bike lanes on HWY 2 eliminating a hazardous crossing of the parkway. This is an exciting improvement to this wonderful facility.
Rockport: 56km – Rest Stop/ Lunch stop/ optional Thousand Islands Cruise/ GWTA shuttle
Follow the signs off the St. Lawrence Bikeway and across the road to the charming little village of Rockport in the Township of Leeds and Thousand Islands.
- 10:30am -1pm
- Bike Corral hosted by the Township in the parking lot for the Angelican Church of Landsdowne
- 2 Front St Rockport, ON K0E 1R0
- Optional Cruise: Rockport Boat Lines are offering a 1 hour long 1,000 Islands Cruise and lunch special to GWTA riders.
Heart of The Island Cruises run at 11am and 12 noon – we recommend booking for the 12 noon cruise .
Reservations should be made in advance here:
The special rate for the cruise is $30.00 (Cruise $18 and Lunch $12) please pay on arrival on August 1st at designated window at the Ticket Booth.
When reserving please use #GWTA2018 in “Additional Information” as the group code. Any dietary restrictions, such as gluten free or vegetarian/vegan should also be listed there. The boxed lunch will consist of a sandwich, drink (juice/other than water), apple and cookie/treat and will also be available to purchase for non-cruising riders.
Ham or Ham & Cheese on whole wheat or gluten-free bread
Vegetarian/Vegan option: Baby Spinach, Black Beans, Corn, Tomatoes, Peppers & Cilantro on a soft Tortilla
Over 100 seats are available on the cruise but bikes must be left on shore in designated bike parking area – please bring your lock!
Rockport attractions: There is also a restaurant, pub, hot dog cart, two general stores, ice cream and art galleries to entertain those who just want to pass through. We recommend that the village is walked for safety.
GWTA shuttle –
- Depart at 1:15 pm from Rockport for Brockville
- The church parking lot, 2 Front St Rockport, ON K0E 1R0
- Campground: St. Lawrence Park, 525 King St W, Brockville, ON K6V 3N4
- Please note that Comfy Campers will not be open until 3pm.
- Hotel : Super 8 Hotel, 1843 Highway 2 East, K6V 5T1 Brockville, Canada (East side of Brockville)
- A school bus shuttle will be running between St Lawrence Park ( campground), Brockville downtown and the Super 8 Motel
- First shuttle leaves St. Lawrence Park at 5:30pm, downtown Brockville at 5:45pm, Super 8 Motel at 6pm
- Last shuttle leaves St. Lawrence Park at 9:15 ( for Brockville dinner kayakers returning to hotel)
Optional Brockville Dinner Kayak ( additional fees apply)
- Start and finish at GWTA campground. St. Lawrence Park, 525 King St W, Brockville, ON K6V 3N4 5pm – 9pm
- Price – $95.00
- Hotel shuttle from Super 8 Hotel to Campground at 4pm
- Hotel shuttle at end of the trip back to Super 8 Hotel
Please register for the dinner kayak by phone with Thousand Islands Kayaking at 613-329-6265; full payment is required to secure the booking. Please book with at least 48 hours notice, to ensure that the trip is properly staffed. Please mention the Great Waterfront Trail Adventure to receive the special pricing of $95 per person.
– Sea kayaks
– All kayaking equipment ( PFDs, pumps, ropes, drybags, wind breakers)
– Guides ( on water, and on-land instruction, stories of the local ecology and islands)
– storage facility at Brockville, if anyone wishes to leave anything behind
– Free photos: our guides will actively be taking photos throughout the tour, and we will send these photos via emails provided the following day)
Other Brockville attractions
Brockville Railway Tunnel