Mississauga First Nation descends from the Anishinabek Nations that settled throughout the Lake Huron watershed long before the arrival of the French and British. Mississauga First Nation’s claim to their traditional land base is established through the Robinson-Huron Treaty that was signed by the Crown and Ojibway Chiefs of Sault Ste. Marie in 1850. There are number of Mississauga Nations in Southern Ontario who are our relations, those Mississaugas moved south throughout the last few centuries as different conflicts and forces moved throughout this area. The word Mississauga is an anglicized version of the Ojibwe word Misswezahging, which means ‘a river with many outlets.’ This name comes from the Mississaugi River, which is a bird-foot delta, a haven for fish and waterfowl and is currently a jointly managed Provincial Park.
Although the Mississauga First Nation reserve is large, the community is settled in a small area of this land at the edge of Trans-Canada highway. The total Band membership population of Mississauga First Nation is 1,142. The majority of Band members (66%) currently live off-reserve. Many Band Members live off-reserve in the neighbouring towns and urban centers in the region. The Town of Blind River is home to approximately 400 people who identify themselves as First Nation (10% of the population). Currently 37% of Band member’s on-reserve are under the age of 19.