Monday, July 30th – Cobourg – Picton (107 km)
GPS Note: GPS data complements but does not replace your GWTA maps and itineraries.
Route Note: Due to delayed construction that is closing the Brighton Swing Bridge at the Murray Canal, we have an additional 10 km to ride today. Please consider the scoot ahead shuttle and look at your maps to see the detour.
Campers: If you left your bike overnight at the Cobourg Police Garage we recommend loading your luggage first and then walking 400m to breakfast ( there is very little space for bike parking at the Oasis). After breakfast walk the short distance along King Street to the Police Yard following the mapped route provided. You will pass some really great independent coffee shops if you need an extra caffeine fix!
Luggage Truck Loading: 8:00 am. Please load your luggage before you depart for breakfast – all luggage should be loaded by 8:00 am latest.
Hotel Guests: Please meet GWTA staff with your luggage in the Reception Area of your hotel before departing for breakfast by bike – staff will collect it and transport it to tonight’s hotel. Hotel guests may wish eat breakfast at the hotel. This is not included in your registration or room reservation.
Limited bike parking reserved for hotel guests. Campers, pick up your bike after breakfast from the Cobourg Police Services. Just a short walk along King Street.
Pick-up Bike from Cobourg Police Garage. 107 King Street West. Just 400m
Scoot Ahead Shuttle to Wicklow Beach:
- 8:30 am departure from Cobourg Police Yard to Wicklow Beach Boat Launch.
- We don’t want you to miss your chocolate!
19 km — Wicklow Beach Boat Launch — Rest and chocolate stop
- 133 Lakeport Rd, ON K0K 1S0
- 9 am to 10 am
This rest stop is hosted by Northumberland Tourism – stop for a selfie at their selfie station, fill up your water bottles and refuel with some tasty chocolate (it would be rude not to sample!) Tweet your appreciation to @NorthumberlandT
27 km — Victoria Square Park, Cramahe — Water Stop
- Division Street and County Road 2
- 9:30 to 11 am
Stop under the shade of century-old trees to refill your water and drink in the heritage atmosphere of this park. As early as 1815, town founders planned to create this park, an homage to the late 18th Century Empire Loyalists heritage. Take a selfie with the 2, six thousand pound cannons dated 1844 from the Crimean War.
29 km — Rutherford’s Farm and Roadside Market
- 205 King St E, Colborne, ON K0K 1S0
Located on the north (left side) of the Trail, stop by to snack on fresh produce from this 50 acres family farm that has served the area for generations.
41.5 km — Harbour Street Parkette, Brighton – Water Stop and optional early lunch
- 147 Harbour St, Brighton, ON K0K 1H0
- 10 am to 11:30 am
Check out the Whistling Duck Restaurant in Brighton for an early lunch – please note that the restaurant does not open until 11:30 am. If you are still in the restaurant at 1pm be prepared to take the shuttle from Hiller Estate Winery.
59.8 km — Carrying Place – Rest Stop
- HWY 33 and CR 64. On the south side (left) of CR 64.
- 11 am to 1 pm
The folks at Quinte West really know how to put on an excellent rest stop – fill up with water or sample some of the other goodies!
If you are ready for lunch, there is a Fish and Chip shop that sells ice cream at the corner of CR 64 and HWY 33.
Think about a return visit to Quinte West, the home of Canada’s largest air base and tour through the renowned National Air Force Museum of Canada, dedicated to preserving and telling the history of Canadian military aviation. One of the City’s newest attractions is Trenchtown Wake Park offering cable wakeboarding. Give angling a try as the City is a top spot for walleye (pickerel) fishing and there are outfitters that will gear you up.
69km –Terra Restaurant
- 20261 Loyalist Parkway, Consecon
- Optional lunch stop (on your own) offering Italian fare and sandwiches
75.5 km — Hillier Creek Estates Winery and GWTA shuttle – Optional lunch stop ( on your own)
- 46 Stapleton Road, Hillier, Ontario K0K 2J0
- Wine tastings are available or simply enjoy a glass of your favourite wine on the gorgeous patio before riding the final 30km or jumping in the shuttle.
- Enjoy a wood-fired artisan style pizza for lunch
- If you wish to purchase a bottle of wine for later the GWTA shuttle will transport your wine to Picton for pick up at the campground.
- The GWTA shuttle will be leaving the Winery at 2 pm and 3pm
88 km — Wellington Park – optional late lunch
Wellington is a charming little town with many food and beverage options. Washrooms are available in Wellington Park.
99 km — Bloomfield
102.5 km Barley Days Brewery
Celebrate the end of your ride with a craft brew from Picton brewer Barley Days located right on the Loyalist Parkway. Enjoy one of the eight beers that are on tap and are rotated seasonally. Grab a seat on the patio and enjoy a refreshing pint.
107 km Finish: Picton –
- Campground: Picton Fairgrounds 29 Disraeli St, Prince Edward, ON – Prince Edward County Tourism will be available to greet you with local samples including cookies, energy balls, County Soda Company soda and Prince Eddy’s beer.
- Campground bike storage – in the Arena – the Arena will be locked for the night at 8pm, please store your bikes before this time – Arena opens 6am.
- Please note that Comfy Campers will not be open until 3pm.
- Hotel : Picton Harbour Inn, 33 Bridge St, Picton, ON K0K 2T0
- Hotel: Merrill Inn, 343 Main St E, Picton, ON K0K 2T0