Farm Fresh Tour Final Details
Saturday September 25
Parking, Registration and Finish at Chronicle Brewing Company, 422 Lake Rd, Bowmanville, Ontario, L1A 4P8
Sunday September 26
Parking: Diane Hamre Recreation Complex, 1780 Rudell Rd, Newcastle, L1B 1G8,
Registration and Finish: Clarington Farmers Market, Newcastle Arena ,103 Caroline St W, Newcastle, ON L1B 1H1 – ride your bike to the market (less than 1km along Edward Street).
Start time for both days – arrive between 8:30 and 9:30 – leave when you are ready to ride. Coffee and local bakery muffins available at registration.
- Arrive ready to ride.
- Please self screen on both Saturday and Sunday mornings using https://covid-19.ontario.ca/screening/customer/ if you fail the test please do not attend the event.
- Please note that while we do not require proof of vaccination to ride, under new provincial rules some businesses may require proof of vaccination to enter their premises.
- A photographer and videographer will be recording the ride – you will be asked to sign a photo and video release at registration.
- Bring your own face mask to wear at registration and when inside businesses.
- Hand sanitizer will be available pre-ride, at all rest stops, in all vehicles and post ride.
- Bring at least one cycling water bottle to refill at rest stops.
- For hygiene reasons we will not be providing Gatorade or any other electrolyte at rest stops – please provide your own electrolyte powder or tablets if required.
- Due to Covid restrictions please note there may be no washrooms available at the start on Sunday 26 September.
- Light lunch will be provided mid route both days.
- Event runs rain or shine.
- Please bring cash or a credit card in case you wish to make additional purchases at any of our participating Farm Fresh businesses.
- Remember to follow the rules of the road.
Looking for a great local ride to help you stretch your legs and shake off that cabin fever?
Saddle-up alone or with a group of friends and join the Waterfront Regeneration Trust and Greenbelt Foundation for a supported ride of the Highland Hustle East or West on one of our new Farm-Fresh tours. We’ll be celebrating two iconic Ontario landscapes infused with the bounty of the Ontario Greenbelt and serene views of Lake Ontario.
- Two day-long cycle tours (Register for Highland Hustle West – 114km or Highland Hustle East – 81km). 25 and 26 September. Register for one date or both, to make yourself weekend trip!
- Regular rest stops featuring seasonal fruit from local farms
- Delicious samples (included) at a number of local farms and businesses, on each days cycling route including Tyrone Mills on Saturday 25 September and Haute Goat on Sunday 26 September.
- A fully-signed Great Lakes to Greenbelt cycling loop joining the Greenbelt Route, Great Lakes Waterfront Trail and signed connectors in Whitby and Clarington.
- Great views, a selection of the 3 B’s (bakeries, beaches and breweries), and the hustle and flow of the Durham and Northumberland hills and waterfront.
- Suitable for experienced cyclists used to riding up to 100km in one day.
- Numbers strictly limited to 50 riders per day.
- Sign in and roll out when you are ready to start the ride between 8:30am and 9:30 am.
- Saturday’s Start and Finish at Chronicle Brewing Company in Bowmanville. Address: Unit 3 – 422 Lake Road, Bowmanville, ON L1C 4P8
- Sunday’s Start and Finish located at the Diane Hamre Recreation Complex 1780 Rudell Rd, Newcastle, ON L1B 1G8.
Saturday September 25th – Highland Hustle West – 114km
Meet us at Chronicle Brewing for a challenging ride with exhilarating views. We will be riding the Highland Hustle West route anti clockwise. The route will feature historic Tyrone Mills, local farm markets, funky food trucks and Darlington Provincial Park before returning to Bowmanville for a well earned craft beer at Chronicle Brewing Company.
Registration and parking
8:30 – 9:30am at Chronicle Brewing Company,Unit 3 – 422 Lake Road, Bowmanville, ON L1C 4P8 -featuring coffee and fresh bakery muffins from Orono’s Buttercup Hollow bakery.
12km – Orono
30km – Tyrone Mills – celebrate 175 years of this working Grist Mill. Samples of Pizza and/ or apple cider donuts available. Water and washrooms available.
37km – Enniskillen General Store (optional and not included)
38km –Sargent Family Dairy and Creamery – enjoy a cold glass of chocolate milk.
52km – Linton’s Farm market – check out the fall bounty on offer at Linton’s. Enjoy a crisp fresh local apple and taste some amazing local cheese.
73km – Cullen Central Park
83Km – Heydenshores Pavilion-included light lunch
100km – Darlington Provincial Park – rest your legs and enjoy local fruit and water – washrooms available.
114km – Chronicle Brewing Company – enjoy a complementary beer on the patio to celebrate today’s accomplishment.
Sunday September 26th – Highland Hustle East – 78km
Sunday’s ride starts in Newcastle before heading North to the Greenbelt Route. Today’s shorter ride features a lung busting climb, outstanding views and intriguing Farm Fresh rest stops at the Haute Goat and Port Hope. All other rest stops will feature local fruit from Archibald’s Orchard.
Registration and parking
8:30 – 9:30am at the Diane Hamre Recreation Complex, 1780 Rudell Rd, Newcastle, ON L1B 1G8 – featuring coffee and fresh bakery muffins from Orono’s Buttercup Hollow bakery.
26km – Haute Goat Farm – Goats rule at this amazing location! Park up your bike and grab a Haute Goat ticket from our support vehicle – use your ticket to pay for your Haute Goat special treat at the Farm Store. At 11am Haute Goat owner ” Farmer Debbie” will lead a special Farm Fresh tour to visit the goats and alpacas.
45km – Port Hope Rest stop – park your bike in Memorial park and enjoy an included light lunch from a local caterer featuring Farm Fresh produce. Washrooms available in Memorial Park.
60km – Wesleyville Church Rest Stop- rest your legs and enjoy a sample of fresh local fruit and a water top up at the last stop of the tour.
75km – Stop at the Event tents located at the Clarington Farmers Market at the Newcastle Arena and pick up your goodie bag that includes a Greenbelt t-shirt. Stay for the Prize draw to win some additional Farm Fresh goodies.
Return to your car at the Diane Hamre Recreation Complex
Registration costs :
One day ride – $89 plus HST
Two day ride – $175 plus H.S.T
Holiday Inn & Suites – 37 Spicer Square, Bowmanville, ON L1C 5M2 (905) 697-8089
Best Western Plus – 160 Liberty St S, Bowmanville, ON L1C 2W4 (905) 623 8500
Bowmanville Marina Inn & Suites – 70 Port Darlington Rd, Bowmanville, ON L1C 3K3 (905) 623-4925